5 Affordable Home Improvements To Increase Your Property Value
If you are looking for 5 AFFORDABLE Home Improvements to Instantly Increase Your Property Value then you have come to the right place!
* This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more information.
In order to increase your property value, it’s important to pay attention to the desires of prospective buyers when doing upgrades in your home.
Are you spending money where it matter the most when it comes to increasing your property value?
Thankfully, bringing your home up-to-date doesn’t need to cost you an arm and a leg.
In fact, you can often do it in relatively a short time frame (yay!) and often spend less than $1,000 to create the look buyers and appraisers are fawning over.
Try these affordable home improvements that are sure to increase its value and aesthetic appeal:
1 – Crown Molding
If you aren’t sure what crown molding is, check out this link. If your home doesn’t already have crown molding installed, don’t stress!
Rather than spending a fortune on having luxurious crown molding installed, you can create the look yourself by using inexpensive faux techniques.
2 – Hardwood flooring
Hardwood flooring can be a very costly endeavor; however bamboo flooring is surprisingly an inexpensive alternative. It doesn’t need to be put through the entire house either.
Many homes have hardwood flooring only in the entryway, living room, dining room and/or bedrooms. But the latter is up to you!
I have lived in some homes with carpets and others with hardwood flooring in the bedroom and honestly loved both options (the hardwood flooring in the bedroom of a child with a dust-mite allergy is a godsend!)
You can always add a gorgeous rug to any bedrooms with hardwood floor if you prefer the soft feel underneath your feet.
3 – Landscaping
Your home’s curb appeal will set the tone for how a buyer will feel before even entering your home.
If your landscaping is lacking and the siding of your home is dingy or unappealing, they won’t expect much of the interior (I know, I know, don’t judge a book by its cover but still…it happens!).
- Tidying up can go a long way. Rent a power washer to deeply clean your home’s siding, deck, driveway and entryway. Renting a power washer can cost as little as $70, but it can increase your home’s curb appeal exponentially.
- Planting flowers and plants on both sides of your porch to flank your entryway is a nice way to say “welcome home” to buyers (and the appraiser). To save money, purchase plants and flowers that are in season. You can also plant flowers as bulbs to save a few dollars, though the effects will not be instantaneous.
- Exterior shutters add traditional charm to your home. The best part is that you can purchase shutters quite cheaply each at home improvement stores and Amazon too (yes seriously!).
4 – Add a backsplash
A backsplash is to the kitchen what eyebrows are to the face – it really frames the room.
By simply adding a backsplash to the bare space between your countertops and cabinets, you can instantly transform your kitchen from blah to ta-da!
- While kitchen backsplashes are generally a high-cost project, you can minimize this expense by using a low cost tile for the majority of the backsplash and placing a stripe or pattern of luxurious coordinating tiles throughout.
- Even better if you are stuck for money – you can buy these super cheap peel and stick backsplash stick on tiles, how cool is that?
5 – Upgrade a bathroom
A bathroom upgrade needn’t cost $10,000 in order to look beautiful – it really doesn’t.
Rather than adding a new garden tub or replacing a vanity, make small upgrades in order to achieve an equally impressive impact.
- Frame your builder-grade mirror by using a mirror framing kit or purchase a new mirror like this.
- Add new hardware to your vanity for less than $25.
- Paint an outdated vanity for less than $25 or paint over tired laminate with a faux-granite countertop paint kit like Remember to apply a fresh coat of neutral paint to the walls.
- In total, your cheap but gorgeous bathroom upgrade would cost maximum a few hundred dollars rather than the $10,ooo. Now, that’s a serious return on your money!
Before we go, it needs to be said:
As a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that your home is up-to-date to routinely increase your home’s property value.
In reality, your home is only worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay for it.
Therefore, it makes sense to upgrade your home with all the trimmings you know are a) sound investments because they’re highly requested features by buyers and b) they make your home look more gorgeous (that’s our goal right and to do it without spending a bucket load of money?)
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it!
Before you go…
- If you are wanting to create new great money babits, I have a great free habit tracker here for you.
- You can check out my list of favorite must-read money books here.
- If you want to know 365 excellent savings hacks check out THE SAVINGS HACKS BIBLE.
- THE LIFE HACKS BIBLE is for dream-chasers wanting 1001 tips to save you time, stress and money.
- Finally if you want to stay in touch feel free to join our MAMA LOVES MONEY TRIBE for your weekly dose of inspiration. The mere fact that you are here right now means you would be perfect fit!